Venice masks

Wednesday 19 October 2022

Pebbles - Marfuga Aitkhozha

How beautiful and rounded the pebbles are.
The water hides them beneath its waves.
Cast up on the shores of the lake
they hold out against the storms.
They are so persistent, so ancient,
their faces washed and polished by years.
Sajram’s pebbles are my favourite,
their surfaces striped.
The endless waves wash over them.
They are trusting in their persistence.
Embracing the shore in a stony circle,
no man can vie with you in strength.
Though I am free to do what I want
and live in the circle of verses,
I long for Sajram’s ringing pebbles
to grant me their favour.
Sleeplessly, you keep guard.
Your feelings are like tender plants.
I couldn’t help but gather you up,
so many, into my hands.
Don’t ask me why. I cannot say.
How beautiful and rounded the pebbles are.
The water hides them beneath its waves.
Cast up on the shores of the lake,
you hold out against the storms.

Marfuga Aitkhozha (born 1936) Kazakhstan (born in China)
Translator not stated
Source: Contemporary Kazakh Literature: Poetry Anthology, National Bureau of Translations, 2019
  • Sajram – lake located in the Ili Kazakh Autonomous Prefecture in Xinjang region, China.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.