Venice masks

Friday 5 June 2020

Heartfelt - Annette Freün von Droste-Hülshoff

All that I say, and every word,
and every press of my hands,
and the tender look in my eyes,
and everything that I have written,
that is no mere breath, and no air,
no movement of the fingers:
that is the flaming blood of my heart
which forces its way out through a thousand gates.

(Herzlich, 1838)

Annette Freün von Droste-Hülshoff (1797 - 1848) Germany
Translated by Marion Tymms
Source: The Wild Muse: The Poetry of Annette Von Droste-Hulshoff, edited and translated by Marion Tymms, Memoirs Publishing, 2013 [The [Bank] Garden]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.