Venice masks

Thursday 7 December 2017

Departing - Joe Friggieri

When I'm about to leave forever
I want it to be at night
with crickets singing in the corn
and a full moon in the branches
of the eucalyptus

and I want someone to hold the window wide open
so I can pick a fragrant flower
and a big star.

And you, my love,
when the wind moans behind the door
and whirls among the cypress trees like a weary soul,
come up on tiptoe and draw the curtain.

Joe Friggieri (born 1946) Malta
Source: BBC Radio Scotland
Reproduced by permission of the author © Joe Friggieri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.