Venice masks

Saturday 2 September 2017

On the Death of his Mistress - Abu Sahet Alhedhily

Dost thou wonder that I flew
Charm'd to meet my LEILA'S view?
Dost thou wonder that I hung
Raptur'd on my LEILA'S tongue?
If her ghost's funereal screech
Thro' the earth my grave should reach,
On that voice I lov'd so well
My transported ghost would dwell:
If in death I can descry
Where my LEILA'S relics lie,
SAHER'S dust will flit away,
There to join his LEILA'S clay.

Abu Sahet Alhedhily (date unknown, but must be at least 18th century or earlier) Saudi Arabia
Source: Specimens of Arabian poetry, from the earliest time to the extinction of the Khaliphat, with some account of the authors by Joseph Dacre Carlyle, 1796

1 comment:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.