Venice masks

Monday 19 December 2016

Cry of the African Child - Amie Sallah

It is my father's land
It is my mother's land
It is my home land
They call it the dark continent
We call it Africa
But I call it My Continent

My continent is in total darkness
Except for a few deem of light
Which they are trying to put off
Though there are lots of candles to light
Yet still my people cannot light the candles themselves

But I will rise up
I will rise up with the help of my people
And light each and every corner of my continent
And in the new bright light of AFRICA
THE AFRICAN CHILD WILL CRY NO MORE

Amie Sallah (20th century) Gambia
Source: Poetry Soup

1 comment:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.