Venice masks

Thursday 2 April 2015

Found - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I wandered lonely
Beneath the trees,
And sought for nothing,
But strolled at ease.

There in the shadows
A flower grew,
Like starlight beaming,
Like eyes so blue.

I sought to break it,
But heard it say:
“Shall I be broken
To fade away?”

I dug it out then
With roots and all,
And bore it home to
My garden small.

Again it’s planted
And finds repose;
And now as ever
It blooms and grows.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 – 1832) Germany
Translated by Margarete Münsterberg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.