Venice masks

Sunday 1 February 2015

A Morning Prayer - Gregory of Nazianzus

    'Tis dawn: to God I lift my hand,
To regulate my way;
    My passions rule, and unmoved stand,
And give to Thee the day:

    Not one dark word or deed of sin,
Nor one base thought allow;
    But watch all avenues within,
And wholly keep my vow.

    Shamed were my age, should I decline;
Shamed were Thy table too,
    At which I stand:--the will is mine:
Give grace, my Christ, to do.

Gregory, Bishop of Nazianzus (325 - 389) Turkey
(also known as Gregory the Theologian or Gregory Nazianzen)
Translated by Allen W. Chatfield

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.