Venice masks

Tuesday 23 December 2014

It is not Love it is Madness - Mirza Ghalib

(You say) "It is not love, it is madness."
My madness may be the cause of your fame;
Sever not my relationship with you,
If nothing then be my enemy.
What is the meaning of notoriety in meeting me?
If not in public court meet me alone,
I am not my own enemy.
So what if the stranger is in love with you?
Whatever you are, it is due to your own being.
If this not known then it is ignorance.
Life, though, fleets like a lightening flash,
Yet it is abundant time to be in love.
I do not want debate on the sustenance of love;
Be it not love but another dilemma.
Give something, O biased One
At least the sanction to cry and plea.
I will perpetuate the rituals
Even if cruelty be your habit;
Teasing and cajoling the beloved cannot leave 'Asad',
Even if there is no union and only the desire remains.

Mirza Ghalib (1797 - 1869) India

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.