Venice masks

Wednesday 30 April 2014

Sonnet XX: I Always Knew - Louise Labé

It was prophesied that, some fine day,
I would love deeply one whose figure
was described; and with never a picture,
I knew him, finding him, on my way.

Then, seeing him in love, fatally,
I had mercy on his misadventure,
and so went against my nature
as to love him, and just as ardently.

Who would have thought that it could grow,
this thing that heaven and destiny did sow?
But when I see the sky with clouds oppressed,

with winds so cruel, in so foul a storm, 
I think it was Hades must have blessed
me with this shipwreck where they swarm.

Louise Charlin Perrin Labé [La Belle Cordière] ( c. 1524 – 1566) France
Translated by A. S. Kline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.