Venice masks

Tuesday 11 February 2014

Room for All - Óndra Łysohorsky

I am a river.
From my source the gathering waters have been flowing
since time began
towards the ocean.
I accept brooks
that once were clear
and now disgusting city-sewers.
There is room for all.

I am and I become.
For thousands of years I have been the same
and every moment I become another.
Into my source stream other sources,
into my mouth thunders the sea,
and in between I flow in constant motion.
There is room for all.

In me are whirlpools
that have dragged hundreds to the bottom.
Thousands have thrown themselves into me from bridges,
and not all of them were found;
not every silenced desperation was recovered from me.
There is room for all. Room for all.

In me fish live and fight,
gulls,
madly rapacious,
cast their dauntless shadows over me,
and the black tug-boats
and the white luxury-steamers;
willows on islands bend over me
with whispers of love
that sound the same through all the centuries,
in different tongues,
in difiierent disguises.
There is room for all. Room for all.

I saw the forts of the Roman Empire rising on the hills,
I saw the cathedrals rising, hidden behind their scaffolding,
I see the modern Babel-buildings, shooting up into the clouds,
I see the radio-aerials, taut as for tight-rope walkers,
I see the Television Towers, their red lights reflected in me.
There is room for all. Room for all.

Hundreds of wars have I seen, and millions of warriors,
led, clad, weaponed differently in every century,
but always spilling the same blood.
In my mirror-
how short the distance
from arrow and spear
to atomic war-head.
There is room for all. Room for all.

What do the hills around me
and the sky above me still harbor?
I hear the people on both my banks.
They build no bridges for reconciliation,
they build their bridges in order to destroy each other,
they make speeches that terrify
even me,
the grey river.
I should like to run away,
but I must flow,
but I must hear,
but I must see,
from the source to the ocean,
for in me there is
room for all..

Óndra Łysohorsky [real name Ervín Goj] (1905 - 1989) Czech Republic
Translated by Isabella Levatin and W.H. Auden
Source: Poetry August-September 1970 [Poetry Foundation]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.