Venice masks

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Fertile Eyes - Paul Éluard

Fertile Eyes
No one can know me more
More than you know me

Your eyes in which we sleep
The two of them
Have cast a spell on my male orbs
Greater than worldly nights

Your eyes where I voyage
Have given the road-signs
Directions detached from the earth

In your eyes those that show us
Our infinite solitude
Is no more than they think exists

No one can know me more
More than you know me.

Paul Éluard (1895 – 1952) France
Translated by A. S. Kline
Source: Poets of Modernity Translations into English by A. S. Kline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.