Venice masks

Monday 3 February 2014

The Wanderer - Bernhard Severin Ingemann

All the sky was dull and drear,
But what cared I!
For my sky shone bright and clear
In Eliza's eye.

Not a star was to be seen,
Yet I felt no fear;
For like stars of brightest sheen
Shone those eyes so dear.

All the way was rough and dark;
Unheeding wind, or weather,
O'er the roughest path we trudge,
Joyfully together.

Then the sky again was fair,
But what cared I!
For I saw no longer there
My Eliza's eye.

Friendly shone the stars above,
But joyless was their light;
For in them I could not see
Her sweet eyes so bright.

Would the sky were dark once more!
And no star appear!
But give the wanderer back again
His companion dear.

Bernhard Severin Ingemann (1789 - 1862) Denmark
Translator not stated
Source: Poemhunter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.