Venice masks

Sunday 20 October 2013

Last Words - Annette Freün von Droste-Hülshoff

When I am gone, brook no complaining,
Beloved, shed no tears, I pray!
Where I shall dwell, there peace is reigning,
There shines an everlasting day.

Where earth’s great misery is vanished,
Your images shall never fade;
I’ll pray that all your pain be banished,
That balm upon your wounds be laid.

At night, when heavenly peace is flying
Above the world that sorrow mars,
Ah, think not of my grave with sighing!
For then I greet you from the stars.

Annette Freün von Droste-Hülshoff (1797 – 1848) Germany
Translated by Margarete Münsterberg
Source: A Harvest of German Verse ed., trans. Münsterberg, Margarete, D. Appleton and Co., 1916

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.