Pages

Wednesday, 20 April 2022

The Old Woman's Message - Kumalau Tawali

Stick these words in your hair
and take them to Polin and Manuai
my sons:
the ripe fruit falls and returns
to the trunk - its mother.
But my sons, forgetful of me,
are like fruit borne by birds.
I see the sons of other women
returning. What is in their minds?
Let them keep the price of their labour
but their eyes are mine.
I have little breath left
to wait for them.
I am returning to childhood.
My stomach goes to my back,
my hands ore like broom sticks,
my legs can fit in the sand crab's hole .
I am dry like a carved image
only my head is God's.
Already I sway like a dry falling leaf
I see with my hands -
Oh tell Polin and Manuoi to hurry
and come to my death feast.

Kumalau Tawali (born 1947) Papua New Guinea
Source: Modern Poetry from Papua New Guinea, Volume I, Edited by Nigel Krauth and Elton Brash, Papua Pocket Poets, 1972

2 comments:

  1. what is this poem means

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Kumalau Tawali, never spared a word this Manusian!

    "Stick these words in your hair"

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.