Venice masks

Friday 16 October 2020

To Italy - Luigi Alamanni

Thanks be to God, my feet are now addressed,
Proud Italy, at least to visit thee,
After six weary years, since destiny
Forbids me in thy dear-loved lap to rest.
With weeping eyes, with look and heart depressed,
Upon my natal soil I bend the knee,
While hope and joy my troubled spirit flee,
And anguish, rage, and terror fill my breast.
I turn me, then, the snowy Alps to tread,
And seek the Gaul, more kindly prompt to greet
The child of other lands, than thou art thine:
Here, in these shady vales, mine old retreat,
I lay, in solitude, mine aching head,
Since Heaven decrees, and thou dost so incline.

Luigi Alamanni (1495 - 1556) Italy
Translator not stated
Source: Poetry Atlas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.