Venice masks

Friday 14 February 2020

I Am Going to Sleep - Alfonsina Storni

Teeth of flowers, hairnet of dew,
Hands of herbs, you, perfect wet nurse,
Prepare the earthly sheets for me
And the down quilt of weeded moss.

I am going to sleep, my nurse, put me to bed.
Set a lamp at my headboard;
A constellation; whatever you like;
All are good: lower it a bit.

Leave me alone: you hear the buds breaking through. . .
A celestial foot rocks you from above
And a bird traces a pattern for you

So you’ll forget. . . Thank you. Oh, one request:
If he telephones again
Tell him not to keep trying for I have left. . .

Alfonsina Storni (1892 - 1938) Argentina (born Switzerland)
Translator not stated
Source: English Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.