Venice masks

Sunday 5 January 2020

O Christ, protect me! - Aonghus of the Divinity

O Christ, protect me!
How can I know your power?
Your peace I need now
Branch of fairest flower!

O child of Bethlehem
Please do not be hard!
Ruler of all
On Sunday be my guard.

On Monday, when you judge me
Save me from all harm,
Though angered by your wounds
Stretch out your arm.

On Tuesday, lovely Son
Who never shirked pain
Let the world's kings stand aside
Be my gain!

On Thursday, God the Father,
Do not deny your face,
Your pain stirs love within me
Seal your grace.

O Trinity, stand by me
Without you we are dust,
On Friday, hold back your anger,
Help us, you must.

On Saturday, save me!
My deeds leave me in danger,
Do not tax me too much,
I am no stranger.

Son of the Father, help me,
Only son most high,
Pardon us, in spite of all,
I cry.

Aonghus of the Divinity [Aonghus Fionn Ó Dálaigh, or Aonghus na Diagachta] (16th century) Ireland
Translated by Gabriel Rosenstock
Source: Poetry Chaikhana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.