Venice masks

Sunday 12 January 2020

Letter on Torment - ‎Rastko Nemanjić

I blended into witless mob
and levelled with them,
being destitute of good deeds
and rich in desire,
filled with shame,
deprived of God’s freedom,
condemned by God,
mourned by angels,
laughed at by furies,
shaped by my own consciousness,
disgraced by the evil deeds of mine.

Even before death I am dead,
even before Judgment Day I judge myself,
before endless torment
I torment myself with despair.

‎Rastko Nemanjić (Sveti Sava)‎ (c. 1175 – 1235) Greece (born in Montenegro)
Translated by Gavrilo Došen
Source: Serbo-Croatian Poetry Translation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.