Venice masks

Saturday 14 April 2018

Sodger Laddie - Robert Burns

I once was a maid, tho’ I cannot tell when,
An’ still my delight is in proper young men;
Some one of a troop of dragoons was my daddie,
No wonder I’m fond of a sodger laddie.

The first of my loves was a swagg’rin’ blade,
To rattle the thundering drum was his trade;
His leg was so tight, and his cheek was so ruddy,
Transported I was with my sodger laddie.

But the godly old chaplain left him in the lurch,
The sword I forsook for the sake of the church,
He ventur’d the soul, and I risk’d the body,
’Twas then I proved false to my sodger laddie.

Full soon I grew sick of my sanctified sot,
The regiment at large for a husband I got;
From the gilded spontoon to the life I was ready,
I asked no more but a sodger laddie.

But the peace it reduc’d me to beg in despair,
Till I met my old boy at a Cunningham fair;
His rags regimental they flutter’d so gaudy,
My heart it rejoic’d at my sodger laddie.

An’ now I have liv’d—I know not how long,
An’ still I can join in a cup or a song;
But whilst with both hands I can hold the glass steady,
Here’s to thee, my hero, my sodger laddie.

Robert Burns (1759–1796) Scotland
Source: Poetica Erotica: A Collection of Rare and Curious Amatory Verse, ed. by Thomas Robert Smith. New York: Boni and Liveright, 1921–22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.