Venice masks

Sunday 24 September 2017

Adoration - Madame Guyon

I love my God, but with no love of mine,
     For I have none to give;
I love thee, Lord, but all that love is thine
     For by thy life I live.
I am as nothing, and rejoice to be
Emptied and lost and swallowed up in thee.

Thou, Lord, alone, art all thy children need
     And there is none beside;
From thee the streams of blessedness proceed;
     In thee the blest abide,
Fountain of life and all-abounding grace.
Our source, our centre and our dwelling-place!

Jeanne-Marie Bouvier de la Motte-Guyon (commonly known as Madame Guyon) (1648 – 1717) France
Source: World's great religious poetry by Caroline Miles Hill, Macmillan, 1923

1 comment:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.