Venice masks

Monday 26 June 2017

i am selfish. with my blackness - Inès Giramata

i am selfish.
with my Blackness.
my Black features.
i am selfish with my Black tears.
because i’ve cried everyday. for my people.
i am selfish with my Black hands.
because i’ve had them up in surrender. for so long.
i am selfish with my black heart.
because i opened my home. to a stranger.
he stole my land.
sold my people.
scared my body.
taught me to hate. my culture. myself.
and now. he denies me.
my Black tears. hands and heart
have been crippled.
i am selfish with my black tears.
so don’t expect me to cry. for anyone.
i am selfish with my black hands.
so don’t expect me to open them. for anyone.
i am selfish with my heart.
so do not expect me. to love easy.
i am selfish. with my black features.
because everyone wants them. and not me.
i am selfish with my Blackness.
rightfully so.

Inès Giramata (20th century) Rwanda
Source: Journey of a 21st century Afrikan Queen

1 comment:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.