Venice masks

Wednesday 14 June 2017

Daughter of the Low Land - Peter Anyang’-Nyong’o

After I have communed with them,
With dead men’s ideas;
‘Nya dyang’ ’ comes to me
With accusing persuasion:
       ‘Come, “wuod twon”,
        My activities are vital.’

I do not let my testicles
Be crushed when I am wide awake
By the ghosts of an alien clan
In the half-lighted book-cave;
No!
W'hen I sheathe the family spear
And unfeather the poison-horned arrow;
‘When I expose the daughter of the low land
To village gossip and contempt;
Then the books that I read
Smash my testicles in my sleep!

My testicles
Have not been smashed
By heavy books!
        ‘Ocol.

Letting their heavy tongues ~
Like ‘rungus’ —
Butt my balls to wind's dust;
No!
Like the emissary
Of a semi-famished land,
Or the scout of a belligerent army
I brew with the enemy
And drink with my people.

And when I return home
To the daughter of the brave one,
The yeast from the low land
Makes my manhood
Rise.

Peter Anyang’-Nyong’o (born 1945) Kenya
Source: Poems from East Africa edited by David Cook and David Rubadiri, East African Publishers, 1996

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful find

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the maturity of language here

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best poem. Always keeps me going

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Okot Ps I look up to such

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I get your email address please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather not provide it in public, sorry. Is there a specific reason why you want to contact me?

      Delete
  6. How can I access the analysis of this poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a personal blog of poems I like, not a poetry analysis site. Sorry I can't help you.

      Delete
  7. Masterpiece 🤭😇📝

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.