Venice masks

Saturday 23 July 2016

Teach Me Peace - Nathan

Mother, teach me peace.
Everyone is making war, and we hardly ever see peace.
At school, I learn these things…

I’ve had enough mother,
I’ve had enough of war stories.
It’s horrible, all the destroyed territories,
The men and women who have perished.

It’s despicable, all those machines
Made for the purpose of killing people.
The whole land is mined and ready to explode…

Mother, teach me peace.
I know all about war and nothing about peace.
All I know is how to hate war.

Nathan (born c. 2002)
Translated by Gabrielle Marshal
Source: The War Poetry Website

1 comment:

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.