Venice masks

Sunday 7 June 2015

God speaks to the Soul - Mechthild of Magdeburg

And God said to the soul:
I desired you before the world began.
I desire you now
As you desire me.
And where the desires of two come together
There love is perfected

How the soul speaks to the soul
Lord, you are my lover,
My longing,
My flowing stream,
My sun,
And I am your reflection.

How God answers the soul
It is my nature that makes me love you often,
For I am love itself.
It is my longin that makes me love you intensely,
For I yearn to be loved from the heart.
It is my eternity that makes me love you long,
For I have no end.

Mechthild of Magdeburg (c.1207- c.1282/94) Germany
Translated by Andrew Harvey

3 comments:

  1. A wonderful poem. Thank you. Is it from the writings of Mechthild of Magdeburg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and question. It's from her "Fliessende licht der Gottheit" (Flowing light of the Godhead), written between the 1250s to 1270s

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lovely poem. Keep up your good work in the world and God bless

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.