Venice masks

Tuesday 17 June 2014

I Bear No Anger - Heinrich Heine

I bear no anger, though my heart must break,
Love lost forever! No, not for thy sake.
Resplendent though thou be with diamonds bright,
No beam can fall into thy bosom’s night.

I knew it long. In dreams I saw thee still,
And then I saw thy heart with darkness fill,
I saw the serpent gnawing at thy heart,
Saw, love, how wretched and forlorn thou art.

Christian Johann Heinrich Heine (1799 – 1856) Germany
Translated by Margarete Münsterberg
Source: A Harvest of German Verse, edited and translated by Margarete Münsterberg, D. Appleton and Co., 1916

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.