Venice masks

Monday 27 January 2014

Apricot Tree - Magda Isanos

This morning I woke
to an impatient scratching on the window,
the finger branches
of the apricot that bloomed in the night

At first I didn't know him
amid the squandering of so much white and rose.
I thought an angel had swooped down
and broken her wing in the tree.

Could it not be the apricot? I thought.
Then annoyed that I was silent
it slashed my cheek with a blossoming branch.
Then I saw him,

the childhood friend I loved.

Magda Isanos (1916 - 1944) Romania
Translator not stated
Source: All Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.