Venice masks

Thursday 19 September 2013

A fairy-tale story - Jarmila Gajdová

I'm one of the guests
invited to take part
in the royal dinner.

I'm walking through the hall
of the castle,
nobody can see me
when I don't want to be seen.

I'm watching other guests.
The Snowqueen changed
their hearts
in cold icicles,
but they don't know it
and entertain themselves merrily.

I'm listening to music,
but I don't see any musicians.
This castle is haunted maybe.

I'm throwing away
my mask of invisibleness,
if I wouldn't do it,
I couldn't become a part
of history.

My shoes are made
of silk blossoms of flowers
and so my dress is,
my long smooth hair
adorns a coronet of diamonds
which I found on the surface
of a river.

I'm dancing alone.
Or lonely? - Maybe too.
Nobody wants to offer me
his arm,
the prince is hurrying
to a lady
who is not the best dancer,
but she knows
to convince the prince
that she's the only one for him,
the only one in the whole world,
the only one of Choosen.

It's time to leave
I see,
nymphs can dance
in forests only,
where nobody hears them cry
during lonely nights.

Oh, it's easy to say:
"Don't give your heart
to a human being".
People need to be loved, too.
They just don't know to love
sensible nymphs.

Jarmila Gajdová (20th century) Czech Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.