Venice masks

Friday 17 February 2012

Sing Me A Song - John O'Brien

Sing me a song with the ring of truth in it,
Sing me a song with the freshness of youth in it.
Chant me a paean of joy;
I'm tired of the dirge with regrets and despair in it,
Life has too much of drab sorrow and care in it,
Raise me a chorus with hopefulness rare in it,
Plucked from the heart of a boy.

Give me the splash and the shout of the sea in it,
The trebles of birds and the bass of the bee in it;
Bring the minstrels along.
Trilling a lay with the zest of young life in it,
Tender and clean with no heartache or strife in it;
Send me a message with joyfulness rife in it,
And the singer I'll love for the song.

John O'Brien [Patrick Joseph Hartigan] (1878 - 1952) Australia
Source: Institute of Australian Culture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.